Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Snowman Amigurumi

Snowman Amigurumi


This little lady was a Christmas present for my mom for Christmas. She collects anything snowman. She’s also one of those people who appreciates the little things that took time and not money. I thought this fit the bill quite nicely.

Yarn: worsted weight in white (I used a bit of a skein of Caron One Pound that I had lying around)
For the hat and scarf – I used a shiny pink worsted weight yarn that was on sale years ago at AC Moore. It’s similar to Simply Soft. I thought the difference in texture would really make the snowman’s accessories pop.

Hook: G or H, depending on how tightly you crochet. I use an H because my stitches are tight anyway, but if you’re relaxed, I would recommend a G.
Other materials: Stuffing, darning needle, buttons for the eyes, and thread to sew on the buttons.

Row 1: Ch 2, 6 sc in first ch. Join or insert stitch marker to keep track of your rows.
Row 2: 2 sc in each st around.
Row 3: *2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next st * repeat around.
Row 4: *2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 2 sts * repeat around.
Row 5: * 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 3 sts * repeat around.
Rows 6 – 11: sc around.
Row 12: * sc2tog, sc in next 3 sts * repeat around.
Row 13: * sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts * repeat around.
Row 14: * 2 sc in first st, sc in next 2 sts * repeat around.
Row 15: * 2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 sts * repeat around.
Row 16: * 2 sc in first st, sc in next 4 sts * repeat around.
Rows 17 – 25: sc around.
(Around this row, I would start packing the body with stuffing.)
Row 26: * sc2tog, sc in next 4 sts * repeat around.
Row 27: * sc2tog, sc in next 3 sts * repeat around.
Row 28: * sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts * repeat around.
Row 29: * sc2tog, sc in next st * repeat around.
Row 30: * sc2tog * repeat around. Leave tail of yarn. Use darning needle to run yarn tail through remaining stitches and sew shut. I would recommend not sewing the button eyes on just yet. I waited until I was finished the hat and scarf so I could try them on the body to see exactly where the eyes should be.

Snowman’s Hat (with the shiny pink yarn)

Row 1: Ch 3, 9 dc in first ch, join.
Row 2: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st as ch, 2 dc in each st around. Join.
Row 3: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st as ch, 1 dc in next st, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st* around. Join.
Row 4: Ch 2, dc around. Join.
Row 5: Ch 2, dc around. Join.
Row 6: Turn the hat so you’re stitching in the opposite direction (just like when you’re doing rows on a regular pattern rather than circular, so the front of these stitches will be on the inside of the hat). Ch 2, dc in back loops all around. Join and bind off. Flip this row up to create the brim of the hat.

Snowman’s Scarf (with the shiny pink yarn)
Row 1: Ch 7, dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc across.
Rows 2 - ?: Turn, ch 2, dc across. I don’t actually know how many rows I did, I just kept trying it on the snowman until I could tie it around his neck and it hung down nicely.


Let your imagination run wild with this one. Use this simple template to create all kinds of unique snowmen! 

No comments: